Hank III

badmofaux

Post by badmofaux »

I saw Hank III open for the Melvins a few years back. I had no idea what "Hank III" was. Imagine my surpirse when I found out he was, you know, literally Hank the third. Anyway, they started the set with this "country" sort of set and Dale Crover was on the drums. It was interesting, what with the way they played Hank Williams tunes and the fact that the kid could kind of do that yodel kind of "honky-tonk" thing with his voice... but the performance itself was very rigid and by-the-numbers. I was not convinced in the least. Then, suddenly Dale left and the stand-up bass went away too and suddenly they were doing this death metal thing. I dunno... it was fun and I'm glad I was there but all in all it struck me as kinda novel. Anyway, give it maybe two years and Hank III will be but a memory.

RobUA03

Post by RobUA03 »

Shelton "Hank" Williams has just as much claim to the moniker as his daddy Randall "Hank" Williams. I don't think III's just in it for the money. If that was the case wouldn't he be doing sing alongs with his dad and Kid Rock on CMT?

farmer frank

Post by farmer frank »

damnit all anyway. how many times do i have to pull your pants down and spank you in front of all these nice people?

Wes Nile

Post by Wes Nile »

Farmer Frank is still Sh*thead Moron...

farmer frank

Post by farmer frank »

gee, i don't know. because it sells tickets & records?

idiot.

nub

Hank III

Post by nub »

Why does he refer to himself as Hank III anyway? His name isn't even Hank, is it? Is his last name even Williams? :roll:

Justaguy

Post by Justaguy »

A friend of mine's done some album art for Hank III, and from conversations he's had with him, he claims that Hank's always wanted to be a punk musician. The country thing is just a way to earn enough dough to support himself as "III and Assjack", doing southern-fried punk.

you've been had

just cashing in

Post by you've been had »

Guys, before alt.country became a popular genre, around 96 or 97 I saw this guy on TNN playing in front the cheesiest Billy-Ray-Cyrus-esque band ever, with every single lame cliche of the new country business, long goofy mullety ponytail, insanely ugly new country suit, he was the biggest joke you've ever seen, and he was just doing the standard new-country crap, but trying to look like his grandfather as much as he could in mannerisms. Cut to a few years later when alt.country is suddenly the big thing getting written up in every magazine, Ryan Adams is critically lauded all over, and suddenly I see Hank III on tv in jeans and a Black Flag shirt, singing some suitably alt.country songs with all the alt.country cliches (as described in the previous posts here). This guy is just in it for the money, I seriously wish so bad I had footage of him from before.

I am so glad that Jay has moved on from alt.country, which has quickly become a stale, cliched genre with hundreds of interchangeable bands singing lyrics they have no conviction in to music that goes by the numbers.

wilcoisfromstlouismo

Wayne Hancock

Post by wilcoisfromstlouismo »

Howdy all

I like hank III but most of the songs on the Thunderstorms and Neon signs album that sound like grandaddy were written by Wanyne Hancock. He's got the voice but I guess song writing didn't stay in the family.

He's cool though

Mike

highwayman

Post by highwayman »

Hank III absolutely kicks ass. Not only does he sort of sound like his grandpa he kinda looks like him too. You can't replace the legend of Hank Williams and I respect that the kid isn't trying to do that, he's definetly got his own style. Lots of rockin songs about drinkin, druggin, womanizing and hard livin. He does have alot of his grandpa in him.

ctm1975

Post by ctm1975 »

Um, the fact that Hank III sounds like his Grandaddy (as opposed to his daddy) is a good thing. Make that a GREAT thing.

RobUA03

Hank III

Post by RobUA03 »

Anyone heard his stuff? Some of the songs sound kind of like his Grandaddy, but I still enjoy his music. He puts on a good live show as well. He responded to a post of mine on his message board which was pretty cool.