Gardeners/ food planters/harvesters

derekf

Post by derekf »

cind wrote:
derekf wrote:Last weekend, I attended the Mobile Botanical Gardens Plant Sale, spent way too much money but that's ok. These are some pix of the types of stuff I bought.

Those along with 5 citrus trees (blood orange, Meyer lemon, Key Lime, Satsuma, Ruby Red grapefruit) all are going in the ground over the next few weekends. I am beside myself.
You must have some serious acreage.
My appraisal says the land (not including the house) equals about 10,000 sq. ft., whatever that means. I bought the house in June and with the exception of a couple of gardenias, the rest of the yard was overgrown with weeds turned into small trees from neglect. Since June I have carried on an almost slash and burn type of clear clutting. Everything has been cut down or removed. Now I have a clean slate to work with. If I ever find my camera, I'll take pictures for anyone who's interested. And if no one is, I'll take pictures for them too.

cind

Post by cind »

derekf wrote:Last weekend, I attended the Mobile Botanical Gardens Plant Sale, spent way too much money but that's ok. These are some pix of the types of stuff I bought.

Those along with 5 citrus trees (blood orange, Meyer lemon, Key Lime, Satsuma, Ruby Red grapefruit) all are going in the ground over the next few weekends. I am beside myself.
You must have some serious acreage.

calexico

Post by calexico »

derekf

Post by derekf »

Goddammit, Cal.

calexico

Post by calexico »

derekf

Post by derekf »

Last weekend, I attended the Mobile Botanical Gardens Plant Sale, spent way too much money but that's ok. These are some pix of the types of stuff I bought.
Bamboo Palm

Pink Muhly Grass
Pine Cone or Shampoo Ginger Lily
Purple Fountain Grass
Red Shield Hibiscus
Autumn Blaze Maple
Ornamental (no fruit) Vesuvius Plum

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

so yeah well i guess i'll start with an herb. maybe an already started one and water it, get to know it. etc...

those plumeria things are pretty.

bless all you gardeners and earth tenders.

derekf

Post by derekf »

countryfeedback wrote:
half-n-half wrote:i dont know what is so funny but i am really
glad you are amused! :D

uh, i guess i'll try an herb.
aim low.
lesser fall.
I meant Talus and Derek's back and forth banter regarding mulch. Especially this line from Derek.

"half, I suppose it's safe to say you haven't planted mulch"

Do you think he meant to say "much"?
Because I truly do love mulch and sincerely believe in all of it's many desirable qualities, I'll never tell.

half, I started thinking about some other things that would do well in central Texas and was looking around my own yard and came up with plumeria.
and

and

These are the flowers used to make leis, also referred to as frangipani, which should appeal to the hippie in you. The smell is outstanding, albeit in small doses. I order mine from some place in Florida called, cleverly, Just Plumeria. They won't flower for the first year or so and won't tolerate temps below 60 or so, so you'll have to bring them in when it turns cool out but they are beautiful plants even before they bloom.

unchartedthickets

fall aint no time for grow'n veggies

Post by unchartedthickets »

I like the idea of year around weed but I'm not so sure outdoor gardening can give you abundant results this late in the game.

Herbs are the fastest growing and I do mean real herbs. Not teh lambs bread. Cilantro grows well in cooler climate. Mint is hearty but kicks other plants ass. Dill likes early grow season too. Thyme and sage hang in there
no matter what

Vegetables require a vegetation cycle, flower cycle and fruiting cycle.
There's no time left to grow from seed. If you have a source for plants already potted then you have a chance at tomato, pepper(tabasco, jalapeno_), sqash, lettuce and other greens.

I would recommend planting inside in early to mid march and then moving the young plants outside in april. .They'll reicieve the benefit of a complete cycle and have a higher yield.

GOOD LUCK and HAPPY GARDENING. Let us know what you do and the results.

countryfeedback

Post by countryfeedback »

half-n-half wrote:i dont know what is so funny but i am really

aim low.
lesser fall.
I meant Talus and Derek's back and forth banter regarding mulch. Especially this line from Derek.

"half, I suppose it's safe to say you haven't planted mulch"

Do you think he meant to say "much"?

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

You should try all of the herb that you can, half. :)

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

i dont know what is so funny but i am really

aim low.
lesser fall.

countryfeedback

Post by countryfeedback »

This thread is cracking my ass up!

You guys are great. :D :D :D :D

derekf

Post by derekf »

Thank you, Talus. Is that Talus as in a talus slope? Those were always some of my favorite geography pictures at school.